The Men

• • •

Henry D. O’Brien

Henry D. O’Brien of the First Minnesota Volunteers was awarded the Medal of Honor on April 9, 1890. His citation reads:

Taking up the colors where they had fallen, he rushed ahead of his regiment, close to the muzzles of the enemy’s guns, and engaged in the desperate struggle in which the enemy was defeated, and though severely wounded, he held the colors until wounded a second time.

Henry O'Brien

Henry as an officer later in the war (Wayne Jorgenson)

Born in Calais, Maine in 1842, Henry moved with his family to St Anthony Falls, Minnesota in 1857.

At his enlistment on September 28, 1861 at the age of 19, he stood 5′ 7″ tall with light complexion, hazel eyes and dark hair.

During the 1st’s famous charge on July 2, 1863, Henry was slightly wounded in the side. Despite being hurt, he helped a badly wounded comrade, Ernest Jefferson, to a place of shelter. After the battle Ernest was found and taken to a field hospital.
In spite of his wound, Henry was with the regiment and his comrades on July 3rd lying in wait behind a fence in the middle of the line to the left of the copse of trees toward which Pickett’s army was headed.

Corporal John Dehn, the regiment’s color bearer, was shot through the hand during the early exchange of fire between the combatants. The shot broke the flag’s staff in half. Though difficult to hold, Henry picked up the First Minnesota’s battle flag and with it in hand, he leapt over the fence and charged toward the Confederates. His comrades followed as much to protect their colors as anything else.

Lt. Lochren was angry at first and blamed O’Brien for imperiling the regiment’s flag which had been stained in blood the day before. But the affect of O’Brien’s stirring charge “was electrical,” Lochren wrote later. “Every man of the First Minnesota sprang to protect its flag, and the rest rushed with them upon the enemy.”

When Lt John Ball of Co K saw O’Brien drive towards the Confederate position, he shouted, “O’Brien, come back here!” Later O’Brien admitted that he had heard the order but confessed with a grin, “I didn’t come.”

As Caleb Jackson of Co G saw it,

“When General Pickett made his famous charge his men succeeded in striking our line near a battery and close to our right flank and for a moment it seemed that we would be overwhelmed. At this critical time the last of our color guards was shot and the flag fell to the ground. Corporal Henry D. O’Brien, of Company E, though not a member of the color guard instantly seized it and waving it over his head rushed ahead of the Regiment and close up to the muzzles of the Confederate muskets. His example was quickly followed by the rest of the men and the Confederates were beaten back leaving the colors of the 28th Virginia with our command. Corporal O’Brien’s action at that time was fearless and as daring as anything I saw during the war, and there is no doubt in my mind that it was one of the principal causes that led to the defeat of the Confederates at that point. I looked at his face and smiled as he broke off a piece of the shattered staff and threw it to the ground and marched on. He was struck in the head by a musket ball and although stunned by the force of the blow he held to the colors until he was again struck in the left hand. This occurred at the moment of victory.”

After the battle Henry was sent to Chestnut Hill Hospital in Philadelphia for treatment and recovery.

When, on May 5, 1864, the regiment was mustered out after their three years of service, Henry re-enlisted in the First Battalion of Minnesota Infantry. On May 12, 1864, he was appointed 2nd lieutenant in Company B and acting adjutant for the Battalion.

On Aug 14, 1864, at the battle at Deep Bottom, Virginia, he was shot in the right shoulder and lung, a portion of the minnie ball passed through him. He was carried to safety by Alonzo Pickle and others. He was taken to the Armory Square Hospital in Washington DC. He was not expected to survive, but did. His wound bothered him for years, reopening every year for nineteen years until he finally submitted to an operation during which the surgeon removed twenty two pieces of bone and a bullet fragment.

Henry’s company commander, Capt Ellet Perkins, later told the story of what had happened.

“Second Lieut. Henry D. O’Brien, of my company, acting adjutant, had been sick for some time and was excused from duty; but when the charge was to take place insisted on participating in it, notwithstanding the protest of his comrades. The assault was made and Lieut. O’Brien, whose assigned position was in the rear of the command was shot through the right shoulder and lung, when 20 feet in advance of it, and close to the Confederate breastworks. He was carried to a ravine, where the line was reformed and then attacked by the enemy. He urged his comrades to hold the position which they did and a few moments afterward he became unconscious through loss of blood. In my report of the battle I stated that he had been mortally wounded and I certainly had no reason to expect his recovery. His action on this occasion was commendable. He did more than his duty.”

Henry died of pneumonia on November 3, 1902 at the age of 61 in St. Louis, Missouri.


Make a Financial Contribution

Our film is being funded from corporate sponsors and from individuals like you.

To make this film possible we need your help. Please consider making a financial contribution today. More »

Photographs and Artifacts

We are asking organizations and individuals to look over their collections for any information, photos, or artifacts related to the 1st Minnesota. More »

Latest News

25th Anniversary of Ken Burns’ ‘The Civil War’

Aug 8, 2015

To mark the 25th Anniversary of Ken Burns’ magnificent film The Civil War, PBS is rebroadcasting it over five nights.More »

Project update

May 10, 2015

Following the completion of the research and story development phase of the project, we have been quietly working behind the scenes to complete the fund raising needed to finish production of the film.More »

First Minnesota Films at Target Field

June 29, 2013

This Sunday, No More Gallant a Deed will be featured as part of a Minnesota National Guard ceremony preceding the Twins game at Target Field.More »

Trading ideas with other Civil War stakeholders

October 30th, 2012

On the evening of Thursday, October 11th, a gathering of Civil War stakeholders in Minnesota was held at the James J. Hill House in St. Paul.More »

The 1st Minnesota’s Return Home: Winona

August 27th, 2012

Recently I had occasion to visit La Crosse, Wisconsin.  An evening soiree on behalf of the Mississippi Valley Conservancy was held on sightseeing pontoon boat. More »

On the trail of the 1st Minnesota

May 17th, 2012

Last week, Bill Semans, Director of No More Gallant a Deed, and I travelled to Rochester and Winona to speak to their Civil War Roundtables. More »

The 1st Minnesota's First Battle: Bull Run

April 20th, 2012

It was a time before newsreels. It was a time before the 24-hour news cycle. There were no battlefield photos from previous wars to be seen. More »

The Men

Charles Goddard

Charlie Goddard was born in Pennsylvania May 14, 1845 to Catherine and Abner Goddard. He was the only child of nine that survived childhood.More »

Edward Bassett

Edward Bassett was just 19 when he was mustered into Company G of the 1st Minnesota on April 29, 1861 as a private. His family moved west, settling in Morristown, Minnesota in the south central part of the state.More »

Mathew Marvin

Mathew Marvin was born on September 21, 1838 in Connaston, New York. In 1859 at the age of 19, Matthew moved to Winona, Minnesota where he worked as a clerk for J. J. Randall & Co, a leather goods store. More »

Samuel Stebbins

Samuel was born in Brookline, Vermont on April 30, 1830. Upon reaching his majority, he travelled quite extensively and worked at a variety of occupations before purchasing a farm near Winona, Minnesota in the fall of 1856. More »

The Timeline


Apr 12

Confederates open fire on Fort Sumter.

In Washington, Governor Alexander Ramsey pledges 1000 Minnesota troops to President Lincoln, the first troops pledged.

Apr 15

President Lincoln calls for 75,000 troops.

Apr 27

The ten companies of the 1st Minnesota report to Fort Snelling.

Jun 22

The 1st leaves for Washington D.C., arriving on June 26.

Jul 21

The 1st sees combat at the Battle of Bull Run. One of the last regiments to leave the battlefield, the 1st suffered the highest casualties of any Union regiment with 48 killed, 83 wounded, 23 wounded and missing, and 30 missing.

Oct 21

The 1st is lightly engaged at the Battle of Ball's Bluff.

More »